Marsupial goings on in Carlisle with Oaklea Right2Work (R2W) Employment team.
A successful day at Carlisle College introducing two students on the Oaklea R2W Internship for disadvantaged young people. Jordan (20) and Nathan (18) are on placement with Carlisle media agency, “Chunky Wombat”! The internships are a partnership with Carlisle College – and it was an opportunity to show off the success of the programme to local MP John Stevenson. John was impressed with what he saw and hopefully will give extra impetus in raising the profile of this county wide scheme that is run with all 4 main FE Colleges.
Supported Internships are a collaboration between FE Colleges, Employment Advisers (R2W) and employers, funded by the DfE. Both Nathan and Jordan were interested in graphic design and animation – so the R2W team went the extra mile to find a suitable placement as such opportunities aren’t that easy to source in Cumbria.
Internships are great because:
- Offers students a real opportunity to learn employment skills while being supported in a work placement.
- Gives a 36 week placement with selected employers across the county. These placements are for 16 hours per week & will be supported by R2W Job Coaches
- Students undertake pre placement tasks to ensure that they are ready for work
- As an employer, you will be able to work with a young person who knows your company, the job role, and your expectations.
- Students also learn key skills, such as positive communication, time-keeping and safe practice.
What employers say….”His inherent ability, interest and enjoyment of drawing/illustrating will be of benefit to whomsoever does employ him.’ Ross – Chunky Wombat Media
“By involving local MP’s it help’s get the idea of Internships in front of key employers in the area and getting the word out to anyone who might be able to help us with placements .” Jim Thorburn, R2W Employment Tutor (seen rallying the Internship students with MP John Stevenson)
If you want to get involved or want to know more contact R2W Employment Team E: email@example.com
Ready to take your call – Some of the R2W Employment Team